Since the Southwark Scholarship scheme began in 2011, Southwark Council has helped 99 young people (under 25 years) pursue higher education on the Southwark Scholarship Scheme. The scholarship award covers the full cost of tuition fees for their chosen university course.
Since graduating from university, our scholars have gone on to careers in Education, Law, Medicine, Engineering as well as other fields. This has not only enabled them to enter a well paid professional career, but has also raised the aspirations in other young people in their social network to aim high. By delivering the Southwark Scholarship Scheme, we hope to narrow the pay and skills gap between young people who come from financially challenged households compared to young people who come from privileged backgrounds.
Who can apply
We welcome your application if you’re interested in going to university this year and meet all of the eligibility criteria listed below:
- under 25 years old
- must come from a household with a combined income of less than £25,000 per annum
- proven record of being a resident of Southwark for a minimum of the past 3 years (students placed outside of the borough temporarily by Southwark’s Housing Department are eligible subject to evidence)
- have a legal status in the UK with indefinite leave to remain
- must be entering higher education for the first time in autumn 2020
- must have a proven record of active engagement and positively contributing to the community in Southwark
- must have a good record of academic achievement
- must have a UCAS offer from their chosen university to start the course in Autumn 2020
The scholarship is only awarded to a limited number of students each year. At each stage of the application process you must meet the eligibility criteria and complete the submissions in full to progress to the next stage. For further information regarding eligibility, please email [email protected].
This year, in addition to the Southwark Scholarship Scheme running as normal where students have the freedom to choose their own course, we have two additional opportunities that will be included in the scheme. This is a limited time opportunity and a completely unique offer as we will be offering a fixed term employment contract at the end of the lucky candidate’s course. They will have their university tuitions paid for in full as well as a guaranteed fixed term employment contract at the end of their studies. The employment opportunity is with Southwark Council’s Regeneration and Planning Department. Applicants wishing to apply for this opportunity must meet the Southwark Scholarship Scheme eligibility criteria and be looking to study any of the undergraduate courses listed below:
- Project Management
- Environmental Science
- Urban Regeneration
- Civil Engineering
- Landscape Architecture
- Transport Planning
If your course is not listed above, but you believe it falls under the Regeneration and Planning specialism, please contact us to let us know the course details for consideration at [email protected].
To apply, you need to complete the online form available on this link; www.southwark.gov.uk/scholarship